|1. Follow the rules of the road||
• Obey the same road laws as motorists.
|2. Be visible||• Ride where drivers can see you.
• Wear brightly colored clothing.
• At night, use a white front and red rear light and reflectors and reflective clothing.
|3. Be predictable||• Ride in a straight line and don’t swerve between parked cars.
• Make eye contact with motorists to let them know you are there.
• Do not ride on the sidewalk unless it's legal to do so.
|4. Anticipate conflicts||• Be aware of traffic around you and be prepared to take evasive action.
• Learn and practice braking and turning techniques to avoid crashes.
• Be extra alert at intersections.
|5. Wear a helmet||• Ensure that your helmet is fitted to stay on top of your head, not tipped back/forward.
• After a crash or any impact that damages your helmet, visible or not, replace it immediately.